1. TRAIN! TRAIN! TRAIN! and train some more. I started out training really well but then slacked off once I knew I wasn't going to run the race. That was a mistake. Even if you know ahead of time that you are going to walk the race, train with all your heart. It'll be much easier on reace day if you do.
2. BodyGlide is your friend. I bought some but only applied it to my inner thighs. I wish I would've put it on my feet. Maybe then I wouldn't have gotten the blisters that I did.
3. Research about the race and training for a race. The more you know the easier it will be. At one point I think I had read too much about running. I was overwhelmed with information.
4. It can be chilly on race day so keep that sweatshirt on until you need to take it off.
5. The Race Retreat is awesome! The private bathrooms alone make it worth the money.
6. If you never tried Clif Shots before don't do it on race day. Bring along whatever it is you like and eat that. For me it was JellyBelly energy beans.
7. The port-a-potties can run out of TP fast. Bring an extra roll with you on race day and pass it down the line if you have to. (I didn't run into this in the Race Retreat area) Also, if you have room fold up a few sheets and take them along.
8. Thank the volunteers. Whether they are handing you water, cheering or cleaning up the garabage. They need to know they are appreciated.
9. Cheer on the other racers and make friends with those around you.
10. Wear that medal with pride!! You earned it!
So now that I'm done with the Walt Disney World 1/2 marathon people have been asking me what's next. Before the 1/2 marathon even happened I knew that I would be participating in the Tower of Terror 13k race on October 24th. But over the last few days I've been thinking and I'm formally announcing that.....................................
I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!
Yep, I'm going to do the 1/2 marathon there and get my Coast 2 Coast medal. I plan on training better for this race. I've never been to Disneyland before so any advice anyone has for me I'd appreciate!! I have no clue how to start planning a trip for there.