Sunday, October 16, 2011

Wine and Dine Half Marathon

First off I would like to say how proud I am of my husband for running his first half marathon!!

Now my take on the Wine and Dine half. It can be summarized in two words: IT SUCKED! Not really but I will say it was the hardest race I've ever done and that's including when I did the half with a stress fracture. See I was training really well in the spring but my feet were bothering me really badly so I went to the doctor. I found out I had planter fasciitis and was told to take it easy on my feet. So I did and even went to therapy and had special inserts put in my shoes. After a few months my feet started feeling better and I started walking again.

We arrived in Walt Disney World a few days before the race to enjoy the Food and Wine Festival and hang out with friends. After being on my feet more than usually they started to hurt again. I did try and take it easy and take rest breaks throughout the day to help. The day of the race was also the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World. We got up early and headed to the Magic Kingdom for a few hours but left the park by noon so we could rest and relax.

We chilled out in the room for a few hours and then ate at T-Rex and the relaxed some more before heading out for the race. We met up with the WDWRadio running team before the race. I tried to sit as much as I could before the race started but you know how that goes. Your friends are around and you're standing talking and laughing.

Erin and I were in corral D which meant our start time was 10:15. Starting a race at that time of night is not something I've ever done. I've always heard that night races are harder than morning races. Boy were they right!! Erin and I stuck together for the first mile but then I told him to just go ahead. My run pace is almost a fast walk for him and I didn't want to hold him back so off he went. The race was going good until about mile 6. My feet started hurting and my right hip was bothering me. By mile 8 it started to get worse but I keep pushing on.

Mile 10 came and all I wanted to do was sit in the middle of the course and just cry. I was in so much pain with every step I took. I really didn't know if I was going to make it to the end and at that point I really didn't care anymore. I slowed my pace down and figured as long as there were people still behind me I was ok. I think going through the Hollywood Studios was the worse part of the course. You do a lot of weaving back and forth through it but seeing the Osbourne Lights was rewarding!

As I made my way towards Epcot I would try and stretch my hip and my feet in hopes of some relief. At one point I even stopped for some Biofreeze for my leg. About 1/4 mile from the finish line I saw some friends cheering backstage and I just started to cry. I didn't want to go anymore but they told me I was there, just to go. So I hobbled my way to the finish line and crossed it. Tears were flowing and all I cared about was seeing Erin and taking some Tylenol. I must have looked bad because a volunteer was trying to get me to go into the medical tent. I knew if I would've sat down in there I wasn't going to get back up and make it to the UK to meet up with the running team.

Erin was also a little sore in his hips since he ran the whole race and his longest training run was 4 miles. We must have looked pretty bad walking back to the UK to see everyone. The pain was getting worse and I almost said screw it and left but I really wanted to see my friends. Plus Mojo was texting me telling me the "Box People" were asking about me and wanted to see me. Mom being one of them. We made it there and I said HI to everyone. Talked to fellow team members and friends. Snapped a few photos and then left......very slowly!

A few side notes: Most of you know that I love Disney races and I have fun during them and take lots of pictures. In this race I only took a few and didn't even stop to take character photos. There is a sign of how much pain I was in.

I heard and read all the bad reviews from last year's race but from what I could tell this year's was a lot better. Bag pick up was easy and not crowded. I think the changes they made were great but I don't have anything to compare it to. Only thing I would like to see is that the race started at 9 instead of 10, but then again it doesn't really matter because I don't plan on doing it again.

The food booths were crowded and had long lines. I was telling people I would give them $20 to go get me food but no one would. As we were leaving, Erin stopped at Argentina and grabbed us some beef empanadas.

I'm not a beer drinker or a Coke drinker so I would like to see a liquor option after you cross and claim your drink coupon. A little rum to mix with that nasty Coke, maybe??

I know one thing for sure, I will cherish this medal the most!! Along with my first half marathon medal and my Coast to Coast medal!


Anonymous said...

Great Job!

Anonymous said...

Hope you recover for marathon weekend. Good job. Train safe. Go Team WDW Radio.